I started working on the dress for the Sock Couture contest over at DOA yesterday. (Finally! LOL) And lest just say this first, I don't have ANY expectations of winning the contest. I'm sewing for a tiny puki and no matter how awesome you're able to make a puki outfit (and some people are able to sew REALLY awesome puki clothes) an outfit for an SD or MSD will be able to include much more impressive details, just based on the fact that the clothes will be so much bigger. And there's also a whole bunch of people over at DOA that are WAY more talented seamstresses than me (in fact some of them have been professional seamstress for years) and I'm not saying this to fish for compliments, I'm just in awe with some of them and I know talent when I see it. (Luckily for my self esteem there's also a whole lot of people at DOA that are worse seamstresses than me LOL)
Also, based on what people seem to like, my guess is that the winning clothes will be worn by a male SD.
But even if I have no chance of winning I still think it's very fun to participate in this challenge with a whole group of other people. You feel that you share something with other people all over the world. I'm a perfectionist (you should know how hard I work at getting the tiny stitches JUST right.LOL) but I'm not very competitive. And I also expect Pytte to be really cute in her new dress. She might now win but she will sure be the cutest one of them all (in my eyes at least LOL)
Anyway, over to the sewing part: I'm not sure I'm that fond of the fabric in the socks. It's a little bit different from regular knits (probably a bit more elastic) and one of the sock fabrics is also a little bit too thick for my taste (thickness really matters when you work in puki scale) It would be soooooo tempting to cheat because I have a knit it the EXACT same color as the sock, only thinner, that would be soooo much easier to work with and no one would be able to tell the difference. No one but ME that is and I would feel rotten to cheat even if no one would be able to find out so thick fabric it is. And after all, this IS supposed to be a challenge, isn't it? LOL
Besides from the thickness of the fabric and the fact that I have to adjust my design a bit because of this the work is going fine so far and I feel that I'll manage be ready in time before August 10th, even though I started late, especially if I spend more time sewing and less time blogging. LOL
Thursday, August 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
This is so exciting and I look so much forward to the day you'll be able to share photos. And of course Pytte will be the cutes of them all . . . because I'm not participating. If I was making an outfit for Gro for this contest she would probably be even cuter - though I realize it's hard to be cuter than Pytte any day. LOL
Pytte is of course THE cutest, both in her new dress and with the dress "hidden". LOL But Gro is a hard competition when it comes to cuteness.
I'm really eager to share photos of the dress. It feels strange to post these updates without even a sneak peak.
Post a Comment