Monday, August 10, 2009

The sockdress - finished!!!

Yay! I finished the sockdress yesterday!!! I almost gave up though since I, after attaching the ruffly shirt, I realized that the thicker sock fabric was too thick for that as well. Argghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! That's NOT something you want to discover at the end of your project when you're already running late.

Let's just say that I was THIS close to use a completely different fabric and not enter the dress at all. But then again, I'm stubborn, REALLY stubborn, so I managed to use the sole of the sock same sock that had the thin toes (I had run out of toe material, that was just enough for the sleeves). It was still a bit too thick but at least it worked so now the dress is finished!!!!! *dances around*

It's quite cute actually but strangely enough I think it' cuter from the back. LOL

What did you say? Photos???? Nope, it's still secret until the voting is over. I'm sure you'll recognize Pytte anyway when they put up al the entries for voting (at which time you should all run her to tell me how much you love the dress and then go back to vote for the entry you REALLY like the best. LOL) And photos will OF COURSE be posted in the blog as soon as I'm allwed too.


Things I have learned from this experience:

* Sock fabric IS different than regular knits, it's more elastic and sometimes have white elastic threads woven in to the back of the fabric.

* Sock fabric are often too thick to work for puki clothing (especially the one with white elastic threads)

* Socks ARE a good fabric source as long as you're prepared for the problems above,

* I will never again force myself to use sock fabric only for an entire outfit. Next time I'll mix and match as I please. (That especially goes for puki clothes.)

* It IS important to forget not to cut seam allowance on knits (which I accidentally forgot this time even though I KNOW it)

* Certain sleeves will probably always look too big on tiny puki arms.

* The world doesn't go under if the stitches aren't ABSOLUTELY, PERFECTLY straight and even in size. It might feel like it will but world is actually still standing today. LOL

* Never again send something in on the last submission day on DOA since the interpretation of when the last submission day is can be a bit vague (which the mods gracefully sorted out but still)



Things I WHISH I'd learned but probably never will

* Don't save things for the last minute when there's a deadline involved. "Enough time" or "good time" isn't enough because something will always happen that will push things forward to the last minute anyway.

But as I said, I will probably never learn this anyway. LOL I THOUGHT I had plenty of tie this time but something ALWAYS happens in the and anyway. LOL (But the party on Saturday was FUN and all those hours I spent on the phone last week were important and well worth it LOL)


~¤*¤*¤~


My next sewing project will be something for my future LittleFee but I don't know what yet. I have sooo many ideas but I actually need a doll to try on for many of them. Faithful readers of this blog WILL find out though. LOL

No comments: